Sunday, November 08, 2009

Yana's Road Trip

 

 

Dear Diary

 

We're off again!

 

Joni and Hank want to see their friends who live in the wilds of western New Jersey. I love road trips. Hank drives, Joni plays country music and I sleep.

 

We check into the Marriott where the receptionist proceeds to give Hank a difficult time about pets. Hank explains that I am a guide dog and not a pet. He eventually gets his point across and we have a room! I really think they are afraid of me because I am a German shepherd but truth be known, I love people, places and even kids.

 

We go to meet our friends Rosanna and John in one of Clinton's fine restaurants over looking the river. What wonderful aromas – so many things to sniff! I love sniffing. In fact, I'd rather do a sniff walk than any other kind of walk. Hank spots John and they do their traditional bear hug. We sit at a table where I can look around. Oh boy, the adjoining table has kids! Kids are about my height and always have stuff on their faces I love to lick.

 

Rosanna and John introduce us to two of their friends Lois and Pete. They've already eaten and have to get to the concert so we bid temporary adieu, as we'll see them later. Joni and Hank have dinner and I start to sneak over to the kids. Gently, I am reminded that I can't play with them as I'm working tonight.

 

The Raritan River Music Festival draws a huge crowd. Alternately, strings play, the author, Frank McCourt reads passages from his book, Angela's Ashes, and the audience applauds. Every time they applaud, I stand up and take a bow. After all, they are applauding me, aren't they? The evening events come to an end. We take a walk and retire for the evening.

 

Bright and early next morning, we visit Rosanna and John. The humans have breakfast in the dining area leaving the side door open to the deck. Joni gives me the command, "Free" which means I can do what I want on the deck and in the back yard. I investigate, running up the hill, running down the hill and running all around. I like running.

 

Why don't I just go out and sniff around a bit. They're talking and won't miss me if I leave for just a few minutes.  There is a gate. Shall I jump over it? Don't have to. The gate is slightly ajar.

 

Wow – all these smells! I smell a cat, chipmunks, deer, dogs and horses! I love deer, dogs and horses. Cats not so much. Joni likes to go horseback riding and once took me to the stables. Great sniffing opportunities at the stables

 

I love this. There is so much to see and sniff - where do I begin? Go up the hill? Visit the neighbors? Why don't I just meander across the road into the pasture below and make new friends?

 

Oh-oh! A human found me. Here we go – up into the car – back to John and Rosanna's. Wonder how she knew where to take me? There's Joni and Hank. Everyone is waiting for me. They are not applauding. I'll go right up and lick them! They're talking about me to Cindy, the nice lady who found me, as if I was lost. I put a scare into Joni and Hank but I wasn't lost. I was sniffing!

 

We must go back to Long Island. I think I'll sleep. Who wants to listen to country music anyway?

 

We're home now. There is Midnight the Cat chasing squirrels! I think I'll chase Midnight. Wonder if we'll take a walk on the beach or visit the deer along the trail to the lighthouse?   I love the salty sea air, sniffing deer and chasing sea gulls! - Yana

 

 

 

No comments: