Saturday, July 14, 2007

A Fish Story

Fishing is a wonderful sport. I’ve always enjoyed going fishing regardless of the results and I’ve been lucky enough to pass that fun to our sons. We’ve had the opportunity to go fresh and saltwater fishing in many states and coastal areas. I’ve witnessed their fishing skills improve over the years, so much so that I can stand next to either of them or between them and never get a nibble while they catch the limit. Many, many times they’ve caught ten or twelve keepers each while, if lucky, I’ll catch one or two. Most times I’ve been skunked. The fish we bring home are what they’ve caught. There have been occasions when my wife, Joni, has joined us. I’m always amazed how fish seem to crawl up her line!

Several years ago, about the third week in August, I took Ted (9) and Matt (7) on a party boat out of Captree. We went blue fishing but the boat wasn’t having much luck. About two hours into the day, Matt, managed to catch an eleven-pound blue. His small arms tired but he pulled it in by himself. Afterwards, he sat on the bench. I asked, “Matt, aren’t you going to catch another?” Matt’s reply, I’m exhausted!” And he was but he eventually got back up and tossed his line in again. The hours went by and I only hoped his older brother, Ted, would catch one and indeed he did. They both caught eleven-pound blues that day and I said, “yes, there is a God ”!

The boys have grown to be men. Our fishing excursions are few and far between. Now it seems that the only time I catch fish is when I go with Joni who really isn’t into fishing. Her real purpose in going fishing is to needle me about all the fish she catches compared to all I don’t. If you bet who is going to catch dinner, bet on Joni. She’s caught tuna, maui-maui, and grouper off both coasts of Florida where there are many fine restaurants that will cook your catch any way you like them.

One of our vacations to Sanabel Island off the west coast of Florida found us fishing out of Captiva. It is a beautiful island with lush green foliage, serene charm and a funky spirit. We decided to catch a couple of grouper for dinner and had a delightful adventure. We hooked up with Jim, a son of a fishing family we know. He took us out to a spot over an old ship wreck where he knew we’d catch grouper and did we! It wasn’t long before we had a couple of good size fish. Using 14 or 15 lb line, we were just going to catch one or two more and then anything after that, we’d just catch and release - or so we thought.

Joni caught a couple of grouper and then on the third one, her line snapped. I thought I caught a grouper and started reeling up but I couldn’t. I thought I caught bottom or maybe part of the wreck. Jim said, “you got a big one on, bring him to the surface.” While I worked this fish, Joni caught a couple of more grouper and we had enough for dinner. After getting the fish on my line to start to rise from the depths, he’d go straight back down. It wasn’t long before my arms tired and I remembered how Matt, as a seven year old, felt landing his first blue. Getting this fish to the surface took at least 45 minutes. Jim said it was a Jewfish. The Jewfish is the largest member of the grouper family and one of the largest fish in the ocean. Some have weighed upwards of 750 lbs. The length of the fish depends on who is telling the story. This one was about five feet long and 250 pounds.

Jim said we had to bring the fish into the boat. He thought it was a record for 14 lb line. It was one oily fish to try and grab and bring onboard. With great effort, we accomplished this task and took pictures. Who would believe this fish story without a photo? After Joni finished taking pictures, Jim said we had to release it. Huh? The Jewfish is an endangered species having been fished almost to extinction. Again with great effort, back he went. Jim revived him by forcing water through his massive gills and he shot back down to the depths.

This fish wasn’t a record. We checked the line and it turned out to be 15lb test. If I had the other reel with 14 lb test line, it might have been a record but I might not have reeled the fish in.

It was a successful day. Joni caught some nice size grouper. They were wonderfully prepared at one of the local restaurants. Later we emailed the photos Joni took to Jim. And I had a fish story with photos to tell our sons about the one that didn’t get away!

No comments: